Sunday, March 30, 2008

Superman Turns Three


It's after midnight, and another birthday has come and gone. This one was a boomer for the birthday boy, and the birthday boy was my son, my very own Lucas Gabriel.

I was going to save this for later in the post but when we sang 'Happy Birthday' Bahian style to Lucas, fifty or so voices strong, that I have never witnessed such complete happiness and utter joy as I witnessed on the face of my little boy at that moment. I took a bunch of pictures and none of them really captured it- I shot a dark little movie and it remains to be seen if it captured the happiest kid I have ever seen in my life.

Needless to say, the party went well. As with all good parties, there was an hour or so when we wondered if anybody was going to show up, and then more people showed up than we possibly expected. We even had six estrangeiros (foreigners) including myself, and no party is complete without a couple of those.

I love throwing parties, I have ever since I was in high school. Even though the first one or two were kinda uptight, I figured it out pretty quick and have thrown some humdingers over the last two decades. Little did I know that I would marry someone who loves throwing parties even more than myself.

Here in Brazil (and I have to admit the possibility that this occurs in other parts of the world) they love to throw themed birthday parties. This year's theme: Superman. And when I say Superman, I mean SUPERMAN. Evani bought Superman party hats and napkins, and a styrofoam Superman to mount lollipops on. She made a Superman cake with an edible ink, rice paper inkjet photo of Superman shooting across the top of it; she bought him a Superman outfit with a little cape and a foam 'S' on the chest. Grammy brought him a Superman beach towel, Superman underwear, three Superman DVD's, Superman pajamas and and additional Superman t-shirt. She also made him a Superman cape to replace the cloth diaper we usually tie around his neck for the Superman cape effect. For my part, I bought fabric paint to paint the 'S' on the cape (althought Grammy asked me not to) and a bunch of Superman party invites.

Everyone had a great time. The cake was a big success, as were all the candies and salty thingies and fried thingies. We invited a number of people from our neigborhood who have kids, and they all showed up- even my sweet little old neighbor who has the house of Umbanda on one side of us. A number of kids who spend a lot of time yelling obscenities in front of our house came and asked for some cake, and handed out about eight plates with salties and even a couple candied apples.

We found out later that a couple of these plates were less than appreciated. Apparently at least one of the candied apples was tossed and declared 'rotten.' The sweets were determined to be 'second class.' I wish I could say I was surprised by this bullshit, but I wasn't. I enjoyed sharing some cake with these folks and must confess I had hoped to make some points in the Good Neighbor department. But we've known for a long time that we are not entirely popular with some of our neighbors, and now we have a much better idea of who a couple of them are. Oh well- if this is how they view our world through their jealous colored glasses then fuck em.

2 comments:

Thelma said...

Feliz aniversário atrasado, Lucas!

I miss the b-day parties, in special the kids one, with all the "docinhos e salgadinhos". Yumi!

Of course, in my first b-day party in the States, I was the only one who started claping hands when the "Happy birthday" started! Que mico! hahaha

I didn't write about my fitting in US/not fitting in Canada in my blog. I usually keep my opinion private even though I have a blog that shares my life with the world. ;-)

markuza said...

Thanks Thelma! Today my Mom got the full-on Brazilian happy birthday treatment (Grammy vai ser abençoada...)

I can understand your not wanting to write everything into your blog- I'm still trying to figure out where I'm drawing that line myself.