Thursday, April 24, 2008

Day Book

June 3, 1998

Well- I got my first webpage up yesterday, I think- I couldn’t access it today, not that it was terribly interesting, the old “can of beer” website.

Had a rather productive day today, as opposed to yesterday which didn’t seem so productive at all, despite the can of beer. Today I drew bugs for a couple hours, worked on the KF logo, scanned some slides, edited the Borg design.

I’m also running low on power so I think it’s time to quit.

* * * * *

I'm having a lull in my work schedule right now, so I took some time yesterday to rummage through some old files I have backed up on CD's. I didn't find what I was looking for, but I did find something completely unexpected- a folder called 'daybook' which contains several dozen entries over four years of my daily activities. Not exactly a complete record, but enough to surprise me and bring back some vivid memories.

My past efforts at journal-keeping have been pretty pathetic, with a notable exception. My 'domestic' journals tended to have only really boring entries or angst-ridden ones from when I was going through a low point in my life. They are very unpleasant to read. Next time I find them I will burn them so nobody will ever be subjected to them again. Especially me.

The notable exception to this rule are the journals I have kept during my travels. I made regular and detailed entries for my trips: around the US by car, Eurailing it through Europe, backpacking in Asia, and even my first trip here in Brazil. I'll have to check to see if I wrote one for the trip I took with Evani in Europe, I'm thinking I did. Kinda tough to verify as all these journals are in a chest up at my Dad's house along with the majority of my surviving artwork, some thousands of miles away. Due to the number and length of those trips, I figure I probably have at least one entry for every day of the year. I've thought it would make an interesting compilation- I could even make a book out of it, with different entries from each trip written up for each day of the year. If I ever get really motivated, and am freed from the day to day demands on my time, and find myself in the same place as the journals, maybe I'll do that some day.

So let's review that entry I posted some ten years ago with a little context.

Well- I got my first webpage up yesterday, I think- I couldn’t access it today, not that it was terribly interesting, the old “can of beer” website.

Ah, my first website. You never forget your first. Actually, I had completely forgotten about it until last night. I had no idea how to build a web page at the time, and I built that one using Microsoft Publisher- a program that I thought no longer existed but I just checked online and apparently it's still around. It was an extremely primitive, if simple, way to create websites and actually up until pretty recently a portion of my kfpro.com site still had code from back in my Publisher days.

The site, which was appended onto my user account from my ISP and had some useless url like www.sover.net~mpfohl, was probably never viewed by anyone but me. It showed a drawing, done by me, of a can of beer, with a clever caption reading something like 'A can of beer.' Then there was a link to the other page, with a similar drawing, with a similar caption reading 'Another can of beer.' I found that extremely amusing at the time. If you want another example of just how opaque my humor can be, have a look at this.

Had a rather productive day today, as opposed to yesterday which didn’t seem so productive at all, despite the can of beer. Today I drew bugs for a couple hours, worked on the KF logo, scanned some slides, edited the Borg design.

So what am I talking about here? At the time I wrote that, I was trying pretty seriously to get into marketing my artwork as t-shirts and postcards. I did a bunch of artwork, but ultimately gave up on the plan for various reasons, not least of them my being lazy and unwilling to make the hurdle into the 'marketing' aspect of it.

This plan hasn't entirely gone away, and it even experienced a renaissance of enthusiasm about a year ago. Unfortunately, I have much less time now than I did then and I'm still unsure about my prospects of marketing the stuff, but I have a bunch of ideas for Bahian themed drawings that I think would be popular with tourists- there's nothing like it around here.

I've actually found that a number of my abandoned projects are coming back in a new form. I used to do lots of drawings on blank index cards, these drawings were the precursors of the stickers I make now. I used to think about writing a book about travel, now I'm writing this blog. And who knows if I won't get back to the shirts and the postcards for real. I certainly want to. Will I ever get back to writing underground comics? I doubt it.

I did get as far as having some shirts and cards printed- my relatives and inlaws wear the shirts, and I'm trying to give away postcards on my website but haven't had much interest.

I’m also running low on power so I think it’s time to quit.

No, I didn't write this because I was working on a laptop. In June of 1998, I was house-sitting for my brother, who used to own a house in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont that was off the grid. Solar panels and batteries. I did that for two summers, and they were awesome summers. I had a big honking desktop with a 17 inch monitor and I generally had to use it during the day because it drew so much juice that I could only run it for short periods when the sun wasn't shining. This must have been one of those periods.

1 comment:

AkuTyger said...

Aren't these sorts of things interesting? I imagine my blog will be like that some years down the road. If it continues to exist, like if we don't have some kind of nuclear holocaust by then, or global warming gets the better of us.