Monday, October 20, 2008

Play is Hard Work and Other Assorted Novelties

I'm gonna try to make this fast, as I really should be doing other things...



Lucas got such a workout playing all day that he fell asleep right under my desk chair, with me in it. I told him he could play in the office if he left me alone to work, and he sure managed that. I noticed he was getting awful quiet and then I looked down and he had fallen asleep. Also in this photo is half of my new drawing table, which I found for sale in a second hand shop for about 20 dollars. With a fresh coat of black paint, a few shiny new washers, and a minor modification with a drill and some large nails to make it height adjustable, I'm just thrilled with it. I'd been wanting one for a long time.

Today was 'Retailer's Day' I think is the best translation... man but they have a lot of holidays here in Brazil, and in Bahia in particular. Some people have a hard time believing all the holidays we have here, especially people who are expecting work from me in the northern hemisphere... Almost all retail stores were closed today, and even the street sellers who make up the 'informal economy' didn't put out their pirated dvds or plastic toys or watches or whatnot. It made walking down the street positively pleasant, which is not how I would generally describe it.

In other news, we had our third to last graffiti class tonight- it's been fun but I'm ready for it to end. I've got to get back to Capoeira or give it up for good, and if I do that I really need to find some other form of exercise because I'm all aches and pains from sitting in front of the computer all day.

Last week we went out to do a painting in the street- the first round of the election is over, which opens up a bunch of walls for us graffiteiros again, as long as they aren't still in use for the runoff election for mayor (ie: if the wall has a 15 or a 13 on it, stay away). We walked around a bit and finally settled on this this wall, which is at the top of a small cliff. It didn't look so tough from the ground, but we discovered it was a bit more harrowing from up top. Instead of strolling out in broad daylight to paint a wall at street level which is what we normally do, we painted this at night, clinging with one arm at all times to the wall to keep from tumbling down the slope. Luckily, nobody did. The owner was really cool and gave us permission and even made us popcorn!


I realized as I was about to start that the drawing I had hastily prepared had been drawn with the perspective such that it looks as though you were viewing it from above, which was ridiculous considering that it could only be viewed from below. I tried to adjust for this, which was pretty tough considering I could not move further than 6 inches away from the wall, and therefore was viewing it from a very acute angle looking down from above. I was less than pleased with the result. The tough thing about making graffiti is that unline playing a lousy game of Capoeira, which is over when it's over and you can get over it, graffiti can stay there for literally years reminding everyone of the shitty piece you did. This is especially true here, where people generally don't paint over other's pieces. That only happens at election time. Anyhow, it looked at least mediocre to me when I went back to take this picture. I thought this guy I did on the stairs was better:


Also I had the bright idea to have an election night party on November 5th. Now I have to find someone with cable TV where we can watch the returns... and get a bunch of sympathetic US expats together...

OK I'm not going to edit this post... I'm just going to leave you with another painting of mine from the course. We all painted the same thing, but this one is definitely mine.


What the hell- I'll do one more. This is a picture Lucas took of the microwave.

2 comments:

AkuTyger said...

OH, by far, the last one is the best. Tell Lucas he has a great eye!

I might be interested in going to your party, but oh, yeah, I have my MA course starting that day. Dammit.

markuza said...

I hope you can come... someone told me they have cable at the Clube Espanhol at the bar, so maybe it will happen there.

If you liked that photo, I've got a whole set of his pictures here: http://flickr.com/photos/markuza/sets/72157606519041256/