Sunday, February 15, 2009

Multirão in Mata Escura


Yesterday I went to a Multirão - an open graffiti event where anyone can show up and paint. Walls are authorized for painting and they set up a sound system and play dub reggae and make a big feijoada for everyone to eat. They used to happen regularly when I first started painting, but then they stopped for a long time, now they've started up again- here's hoping they keep happening.

These events are always in obscure neighborhoods and often happen at the fin de linha (end of the bus line). This one was in a place called Mata Escura (dark forest) and it took forever to get there. I brought my cans, but wasn't sure if I'd actually be able to paint because I also brought Lucas. I figured if there was nobody there to hang out with him while I painted, I'd just have a look and take some photos.

When we got there it was pretty late- about 3 PM. The wall we had to paint was a big 15 foot monster around a school, and it was nice. Most people were either done painting or finishing up, but there was still some big blank spaces around the side and the back of the building. I didn't find anyone to hang out with Lucas, but the street around the side was quite mellow so I decided to give it a shot. I picked the corner where the side joined the back, as it was the highest visibility spot still available.

Lucas was awesome. He busied himself with my cans and ate some crackers that someone gave us and took photos with my (I really should call it "our") camera and generally kept quiet while I painted. He started to wander off a couple times but I called him back and everything was cool. He wanted to play with some guy's skateboard but I told him it wasn't going to happen. He even painted some spots on the wall when I wasn't looking. I didn't end up being thrilled with my painting, but it came out okay and it was fun so that's what's important. Besides, I'll probably never be back to the fin de linha in Mata Escura so at least I don't have to look at it anymore.

Here's some of my pictures of the other pieces and also some of Lucas' pictures, I leave you to figure out which is which. (Hint: he did not take the images he appears in.)

4 comments:

AkuTyger said...

That's where my maid lives!

markuza said...

Wow- she must have a looong bus ride to get to your place :)

AkuTyger said...

Actually she says it takes like 15 minutes. Getting home is a little longer.

markuza said...

huh- that doesn't make sense to me at all. weird city.