Monday, March 16, 2009

Art School, Bahian Style


Today I went to pick up some X-rays and then I had a half hour to kill before picking up Lucas at school. I had my camera with me, so I decided to look around for some graffiti to take pictures of. I spotted a large mural, not spray painted, and then I noticed that the lawn adjacent to the mural was full of sculpture. I'd stumbled upon the art department of UFBA - the Federal University of Bahia.

I went in and wandered around. I've always enjoyed art schools and art departments, the grime and the splattered paint, the artwork of widely varying quality posted on the walls. It brought me back to my nearly forgotten youth at the University of New Hampshire. A couple big differences struck me, beyond the obvious difference in climate: the primary building here in Salvador is a big colonial period ex-mansion, much more attractive than the modernist afterthought that is the Paul Creative Arts Center at UNH. Also, it appears the students here get a lot more leeway to paint the walls of their school, something we were definitely not allowed to do back at my school. In retrospect, the aforementioned ex-mansion was not embellished, just the surrounding modernist afterthoughts- but it was definitely an improvement.

Some of the stuff painted or glued on the walls is the kind of street art I wish I saw more of here on the streets of Salvador. Here's a sampling:


5 comments:

Mei said...

Such a cool school! I went to school in NY for fashion design, but my department was the only one that wasn't in the art building.

markuza said...

That's so funny- at UNH, the darkroom wasn't in the art building either. Even stranger, the year I graduated they razed the building it was in, which means we were the last students to use it. And then they moved the darkroom to the arts building!

Mei said...

Hey-- BTW, I grew up in Vermont and was born in Hanover, NH! Just thought I'd throw that out there.

markuza said...

Cool! You didn't know someone named Martha growing up by any chance?

lovelydharma said...

Hey Markuza! I'll keep my eyes open for that elusive bagel tree... maybe you could paint me one so I know what to be on the lookout for!

Very cool school. Or rather to cool for school!

I keep thinking about going back to school here. But my head would explode trying to write term papers in Portuguese. So sometimes I think about some art classes...