Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Frustrations

Two of them, currently:

1. Ruan was supposed to start school on Monday, but his new teacher is on maternity leave and they can't find a sub, so he's missing his first week of school. Man do I hate the public schools here.

2. I have spent untold hours trying to configure my router/modem for my new phone company/ISP. The stoopid thing won't recognize the connection no matter what I do. Some tech dude in Russia or somewhere is supposed to be helping now but to no avail. I'm trying hard not to think about how the $20 I saved by not buying D-link or whatever has vaporized along with many other potentially productive money-making hours writing code and making money.

okay, well there's three:

3. My assumption that airline tickets had dropped along with the price of oil was apparently shockingly wrong... I tried pricing tickets to go home in July and I was simply alarmed at how expensive they are. Guess I'm gonna wait a while to buy those tickets.

well, maybe there's four:

4. Only kidding!

10 comments:

Corinne said...

July tickets are insanely expensive, I am trying to get tickets for a trip in July too. Let´s cross our fingers that they go down a little bit. Good luck with the router.

markuza said...

It's... not... fair!! This story gave me some hope, despite it's silly headline: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101408051

Robyn said...

I keep hearing that they're going to drop too. Something about the non-compete agreements having expired with American companies. GOL is supposed to pick up Varig's international routes, etc. But where's the beef?! (God I haven't said that in what 20 years...)
We battled endless problems with our router when we had cable internet (we've tried every system. All equally terrible.). Do you work with a Mac or PC? We found out that the cable company hadn't registered our "mac address" which is different than the IPS properly. Don't if that helps... probably not. Gonna check out that article

markuza said...

Aahh, could it be this mysterious 'mac address??' I use mac, but I think the router is the only thing talking to the ISP if I'm using it properly... maybe it has a mac address too... I'll see if any beef comes along when I check prices again in a month.

michelle said...

Here's hopin' for some beef! We'd love to see you!!!!!

markuza said...

Oh you'll see me. The only question is whether I'll be eating sirloin or cube-steak by the time I get there.

AkuTyger said...

Are you going to take Lucas? We'll be up there too, in July, God willing. Same problem, prices. I have no idea where you are from and where you will go. I will be in Western MI.

markuza said...

Yep, Lucas is going and we will be in lovely rural New England- Western Mass and Southern NH. That's where I'm from. I'm convinced prices will drop at some point before then- it just doesn't make sense in this economy that they would stay so high.

AkuTyger said...

Hey, we're (all 3 of us) going to stay in Jersey for a few days in June, then head to MI in July.

markuza said...

did you get your tickets? were they reasonable??