Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Changes

It's late and I should be sleeping, so I'm going to make this quick. I've been trying, with a fair amount of success, to get up earlier in the morning which means 'late' is now 12:45, and not 3:30 AM.

Lucas said to me today: "Papai, are you happy with me?"

I thought this was an odd choice of words for the little guy, until I remembered that I had just told him, probably for the fifth or sixth time, that I was not very happy with him, because of the way he had been acting. We'd gone to the mall on the condition (understood by me, but apparently not by him) that he behave and try to speak in a non-shout. It didn't go over so well, although it was better than our last trip to the mall.

I gave him an overly long answer to this effect, and then realized that it sucked. So I asked him:

"Lucas, are you happy with me?"

And when he said "Yes" I said:

"Well, I'm happy with you too."

So that's the cute kid story. Now on to the real news.

My wife has been working all week, for the first time in several years. Not that she doesn't work all the time, she actually works quite a bit harder than I do as far as doing physical stuff for most of the day. Unfortunately, it's stuff that she (and I) hates to do, like cleaning and cooking and laundry. This time she's actually working for pay for the first time since she quit her last job over five years ago so we could go gallivanting around Europe together.

It's not that she hasn't wanted to work, but rather that I've discouraged her from it, for the simple reason that it would cost us more for her to work than for her to help out at the house. This is probably no longer the case in the long term, although this week has basically borne out my theory, since I'm having to do all the child care and meals and such. Not that I mind too much (the novelty hasn't worn off yet), but I do need to get some work done.

The thing that's kind of harsh is that she went from not working at all to suddenly being gone for most of this week, spending the night at the job site and everything. You see, she's working at some fancy house in a town to the north of us, doing the grout work on a huge swimming pool. Does one say 'grouting?' I don't know, and I'm not going to look it up. 'Grout' is one of those English words that Evani says, rightly, is ugly as sin. In Portuguese the word is rejuntamento, which rolls off the tongue a bit more smoothly, with no bark or croak-like qualities. She gets paid by the square meter and since she's fast and works hard she can break out of the evil minimum wage cap that would unfortunately be her lot in most jobs.

So she's gone until Friday probably, and then it's almost São João, and then my 40th birthday, and then Lucas and I are off to the states. I have a feeling all of our lives in this little family are about to undergo a big change.

I think it might be a good thing.

2 comments:

michelle said...

Onward and upward, my friend! Looking forward to seeing you and Lucas once you're here!

Vanessa Vieira said...

hello, I like your blog and I'm adding to my blog list. would yu like to add mine as well?
take a look and see what you find ok?
see you