Monday, June 29, 2009

Setting Out

Today's the day. At one PM local time, Lucas and I set out on a 24 hour epic journey to my homeland. To see the other half of his family. To eat exotic American food. To spend some time in the woods. And a couple days in NYC.

Lucas has been waiting a very long time for us to go, and me too, I might add. My original plan was to go home every six months or so (and an earlier version of the plan had me spending six months here, and six months there) but that has turned out to be completely unrealistic so now it's been almost two years since my last trip. And I have no idea when I'll be able to afford the next one.

I'm not sure if Lucas really gets just how long this trip is going to take- indeed, I'm not sure I get it either. I could be looking at the longest 24 hours of my entire life, depending on how Lucas deals with the airports and being cooped up in the planes and so forth. The last time he went to the states, he was a teeny guy- walking, but not talking. Now he's got a lot more attitude. Similarly, I have no idea how he's going to deal with two whole weeks away from his mom, or how I'm going to deal with two whole weeks as sole caregiver.

I'm sure we're going to have a great time.

One thing I didn't write about yet, and doesn't really combine with the topic of this post, is the fact that I got filmed painting some graffiti the other day- there are a couple of American film students here in Salvador making a short documentary about the street art scene here in their spare time. Here's a picture of me with one of them, in front of my masterpiece:



Photo taken by the budding young photographer Lucas.

My last experience with 'the press' was a bomb, I wrote up an interview for someone that never got published. I think these guys are a lot more serious, so I'm very curious to see what they come up with. Here's hoping they don't spend too long in post-production!

Now I'm off to do other things.

1 comment:

michelle said...

Wishing a safe journey for you and Lucas! Can't wait to see you both. Don't worry too much about parenting solo for two weeks- trust me, you've got back up!