Monday, September 7, 2009

Collaborations

Sunday is generally the day I get out to make street art, if I can pull it off. It's also a family day, and often these two agendas come into conflict. Well, maybe not anymore.

I took Lucas to the park with me one day and brought a bag of oil sticks and chalk, determined to get a drawing in even with the child in tow. I gave him the chalk, and drew with the oil sticks, and he was more or less satisfied:


I drew a line and said you draw on one side, and I'll draw on the other. Of course, his half washed away in the next rainstorm...

I tried this again a couple weeks later and he wasn't satisfied with the impermanent medium- clearly, he wanted to use the same materials I was using! Plus the paintstick colors were much better than the chalk. He finally wore me down and I let him do his first 'permanent' piece of street art:


The scene was repeated a week later:


With this result:


Believe it or not, I won't let him draw anywhere with anything. He recently drew on one of our cabinets in the house and I was not happy about it- he has the walls under the stairs as his free-for-all region. And when I let him draw in the street, I tell him where he can draw and where he can't. Yesterday we went to Pelourinho and we mostly did drawings with sharpie markers. Only draw on the paper, I told him:


Up until yesterday, I was just being an indulgent parent. But comparing the stuff he was drawing with what I was drawing, I think that he often came up with the better piece, and now I have to call him a collaborator. Check these out:



But by far my favorite picture of all of them is this one:


Way to go Lucas! In another five years I'll just hand the art supplies to you and hang out and take pictures.

4 comments:

Leo said...

How cool! Lil' Kuzo! Keep handing him crayons. He will get better, then you can collaborate until he is a teenager and rebels with sculpture.

markuza said...

ha ha! better sculpture than performance art...

michelle said...

Man, i love this post. Little kids artwork never fails to impress the hell out of me. The drawing of the little guy with the vibe-y lines rippling off of him is my favorite. More please!
(somewhat related: have you checked out; http://tinyartdirector.blogspot.com/
? Highly reccomend!)

markuza said...

That Tiny Art Director was so funny I nearly wet myself. I love that the poopoo airplane was the first approved drawing, amongst many other hilarious things. I'm thinking of making a set of images on Flickr of all his drawings and such. And I have paintings we've been doing together as well...