Thursday, November 19, 2009

Nzinga Meets Lula

Looks like I quit training Capoeira a year too early- I found out today that my old group, Grupo Nzinga de Capoeira Angola, is going to be doing a demo tomorrow for the president of Brazil, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva. Wow!

Grupo Nzinga is not a large group, at least not here in Salvador, but they are very well connected. At the last roda I attended (but didn't play in), Angela Davis showed up.

I'm only mildly disappointed I won't be in attendance tomorrow. As time goes by, I find that I don't miss training capoeira very much. I generally only have saudades if I see a roda. I really liked Grupo Nzinga, and if I was to start training again (who knows, right?) I would definitely return to them.

I made a funny realization a month or so ago. I heard a This American Life story about 'frenemies' and found it immensely entertaining- I had never heard the term before. I like this definition, taken from the Urban Dictionary:
The type of "friend" whose words or actions bring you down.(whether you realize it as intentional or not) The type of friend you ought to cut off but don't cuz...they're nice... good ...you've had good times with them. U know...they're good people that you can count on to bring you down again sometime in the near future.The friend you may or may not have cornered about their quicksand like ways and keep around because "its in the past"...and so was one minute ago. The person that will continue to bring you down until you demand better for yourself.
It made me start thinking about the frenemies in my own life, of which there are quite a few (me being something of a misanthrope myself). I realized that there were more than a few that were people I knew from Capoeira. And then I made the realization that Capoeira itself is one of my frenemies. Although I love parts of it, there have always been aspects of it that enrage me, and it hasn't gotten better over time. I've trained with a number of groups, and every group has its quirks, but Grupo Nzinga was the best of the bunch, at least that I'd encountered. But I was not enjoying it consistently enough to make it worth while. On top of that, I couldn't give it the time required to play well and not kill myself, and also the time that the group itself deserves of a participant. What started as a temporary break has now extended to over a year.

But I wish them all the best at their event tomorrow.

Parabens! E muito Axé!

1 comment:

fabio bossard said...

Wow! I've never heard it before either. I do have frenemies and this year my best friend and I argued for the first time in 10 years because one of my frenemy. I have to admit that I change my behavior and how I interected with mu frenemies. It was getting out of hand.