Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Defeat

I'm sitting here stunned and deflated by what just happened in Massachusetts- the upset Republican victory there. For anyone who hasn't been following the health care debate and the grim fiasco that is American politics this post might not make much sense.

To think that this means more of the same bullshit in health care- people losing their homes and their life savings, having their insurance cut off when they most need it- to have reform turned back at the eleventh hour- it makes me sick. The extreme irony of the situation, Ted Kennedy's seat lost to a Republican, feels like a kick in the stomach. I didn't love the health plan, and I hated the way it was crafted, but the American health system is evil and prehistoric and has to change.

Of course, the Brazilian health care system isn't exactly what I would call a model for reform...

And it makes me really sad that this is a big thumbs down for Obama, not so much because of who he is personally but what he means, and what he stands for.

I should also mention that this was an election that I could, and did, participate in as I am a registered voter in Massachusetts. It didn't help.

For anyone who reads this who might be Republican, I don't hate you, I don't even want to argue with you. Let's not talk politics at all. I hate the state that US politics is in, the divisiveness, the bitterness- I hate it. But I see very little hope for change and more arguing isn't going to help.

I may have to rethink the whining I do on this blog about the dysfunction of Brazilian government if the situation in the US continues to be such an ugly mess itself.

Well, I guess it just goes to show... it was assumed by everyone that the senate seat was safe in Democratic hands; and as they say: to "assume" makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me." Especially me.

P.S. vitriolic partisan comments, on either side of the issue, will not be posted. There's about a million other places you can leave them.

2 comments:

Mei said...

I second your opinion. (I'm the other New Englander.) My jaw dropped when I saw that in the news, and I feel like we were robbed of our time when nothing came to pass.

Oh yeah, and I just went bankrupt b.c. one of my businesses failed. I'm self-employed. Here's to hoping I don't get sick in the next 7 years...

ReInvented said...

What amazes me is that as expats its so easy to see how sick the political system is - it is no longer 'for the people' just the rich and fanatic - and yet if you are living there its so easy to close your eye's to it, or not think and believe the 'viewing rating' material the press and TV publish. Sigh.