Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Event

I'm tired... but I wanted to write this real quick.

Today I not only attended a graffiti event, but I actually put one on for the first time. That basically meant buying a five gallon can of latex paint and making a big pot of feijoada for the graffiteiros, but it was good fun. And a lot of work. That's why I'm tired.

I ended up doing the event because this guy Does, who is a very well known graffiti artist from São Paulo is doing a tour of Northeastern Brazil promoting a line of Brazilian spray paint called WORX. Well, it just so happens that I am now the 'official' reseller of WORX in Salvador, so it kinda fell to me to make an event happen, or not. I decided to do so, basically at the last minute.

The trickiest thing about putting on this event was trying to find a wall to paint, preferably one that wouldn't get rained on. Problem is that it is now full-on election season here, which means most or all walls are fair game for big, ugly political campaign paintings. In some ways, it's a good thing, because it means all the old graffiti gets painted over and then once the election is done with we can go and paint everything all over again. However, it's daunting in that if you want to paint something you run the risk of it getting trashed the next day by an over-zealous sign painter.

I tried to find a good wall here in the center of the city, and had a couple good options, but they fell through. So essentially I handed off the task to another more experienced graffiterio and he worked out the spot. Not a highly visible location, it is in a bairro popular which means it will get seen by the folks that live there and probably not by much of anyone else. That's cool, generally people love it here when you go into their neighborhood and start making a big production of painting a wall with hundreds of dollars of spray paint. One woman in her fifties actually asked us if we weren't going to paint the remainder of the wall (it was a really big wall, the side of a garage for buses) because the 'pretty part' ended before it got to her house.

In case you're wondering, I didn't provide the hundreds of dollars in spray paint. Everyone brought their own paint. We had marvelous luck with the weather, a single cloud spat a few drops of rain on us at one point and I was glad I remembered my sunscreen. As for my painting, it was probably the most ambitious one I've done to date, and I was pretty happy with it, which is about as good a result as I can expect at this point. I should probably work from sketches more often, or spend more time evaluating what I'm painting. Or both.

Anyhow, that's all I'm gonna say. I'm pleased and I pulled it off. Here's a few pics, you can see more here if you like.

Does - the main attraction.

Bigod- which means 'mustache' - Salvador's finest

Iel - pronounced like the letters 'E' + 'L'

My contribution. The feet are doing a kind of Magritte illusory thingie - completely unintentional on my part.

3 comments:

Mei said...

So cool! Congrats. I liked that the woman wanted you to continue to reach her part of the wall...

Troy said...

Those are really awesome paintings. There are some really talented guys down there. You know what would have been cool? If you had done the blue background paint as an abstract city skyline, to tie all the pieces together. You could probably still do that at the top of the blue paint.

markuza said...

Mei - thanks! I actually gave the rest of the blue paint to another graffiteiro who showed up, so he can go back and continue the project- only time will tell if he actually does it.

Troy - that's an excellent idea, but I don't think we'll see it happen on this particular mural. I'll bear it in mind for the next one however.