Thursday, August 26, 2010

Dentists and Demolition

I went to the dentist today- which is only news because I haven't been in almost twenty years. The infamous Pfohl enamel came through for the most part- the dentist remarked that I have surprisingly little tartar as she dove in with a drill (and no Novocaine) to prepare a filling. No yankings, no admonishments, no shrieks of agony, only a brief fifteen minutes in the chair and another appointment for more drillings and cleanings. All covered by my health plan, and I didn't even know!

In other news they are blowing up the Fonte Nova on Sunday; our big, condemned stadium. It made international news (my mom clipped an article from her local paper about it) when one of the rows gave way and a number of people plunged to their deaths. Thousands of people are to be evacuated from their also possibly-condemnable homes on Sunday just in case of collateral seismic damage, then kaboom, and then they start on the new stadium they have planned for the 2014 World Cup. I'm starting to wonder if Salvador will really get a face-lift after all. Here's hoping!

3 comments:

markuza said...

They just blew up the stadium, not two minutes ago. I watched it on TV, as I didn't get it together to go down there in person. I was curious if I'd be able to hear it or feel it from my house, which is about a mile away. Couldn't feel it, but I could certainly hear it, even over the buzz of the helicopters. I didn't know they had that many helicopters here in Salvador.

Fabio Bossard said...

I hope that Salvador gets a face-lift too. I've heard that the historical downtown is degraded. My personal feeling is that it's just a waste of money if you have a large uneducated population that won't preserve it afterwards.

Elena B. said...

Hi Mark, reading about the stadium beinng blown up made me laugh, because I was talking to my boyfriend last night and he said "explodiram o estadio fonte nova," and because I didn't know that it was going to happen, the first thing that came to mind was that there was some kind of violent attack! But nope...turns out it was a little less scary/exciting than that!