Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bombs and Free Canvases

I had fun today.

Today was Brazilian election day, and I went out scavenging with a couple friends of mine. They are a Chilean couple who, unfortunately, are planning to leave Salvador in a couple months. Since none of us was obliged to vote (like that would have stopped us) we went out with my car and grabbed a whole bunch of these big political advertisements that have been lining all the boulevards- wooden framed portraits of cheats and hypocrites, grinning all the way to the bank, with big names and numbers so you'll be sure to vote for the right one. The ones we took home range in size from about 3 square feet to 3 by 6 feet, with one huge one that must be nine feet long. We strapped them on the car and carted them back to our house, where they are now clogging the hallway and causing my wife distress.

I plan to paint these monsters with spray paint. I've always been ambivalent about the use of spray paint on canvas, but these seem like the perfect thing to paint on- probably because they were free and will be re-purposed, which I like. Plus they're big, which is how I figure spray paint should be used.

The other thing we did was paint a bunch of 'bombs,' better known as 'throw-ups' in the English speaking world - big, quick pieces on top of the political ads that are painted or pasted on almost all the free wall space in the city. Now that the election is over, it's going to be a free-for-all to grab all the best spots and repaint the city with graffiti. That was also fun- it's always a rush to paint your name in huge letters for thousands to see- but my pleasure has been tempered by the fact that there is to be a runoff election, which means that in all probability the bombs we painted will all get covered up again. Which sucks. Spray paint is expensive.

I plan to take some pictures tomorrow, I will post them here after I do.

No comments: