Monday, January 17, 2011

2011

Time passes and no posts. It's not that I've lost interest in this blog, which is now in its fourth year, but rather that it's found its way onto the long list of back-burnered projects that I maintain in my head. I suppose that means I have lost interest to some degree. Or maybe that I'm not feeling the need for the cathartic release I used to get from my posts, or maybe things have just gotten too serious in my life to publish them for the world to read.

I leave it to you, dear reader, to wonder what the hell I'm talking about because that's all the explanation you're gonna get.

The real problem, as it has always been, is a life that doesn't slow down combined with a self that has less than enough energy to deal with the events thrown at it. Since my last post, I made another trip back to the States with Lucas, and we got back over two weeks ago. It was great- for the first time Lucas spent Christmas with his Grammy, which was a big deal for her and I expect for him as well. I reckon he's at the age where he should remember these trips into adulthood, I know I remember all kinds of stuff from when I was five.

The big thing I mention to anyone who asks about the trip is how Lucas got to experience snow for the first time. We got lucky in that regard, there was snow on the ground for the entire time we were there, and it wasn't nasty, melted-then-frozen, snowed-then-rained type crusty stuff, it was nice powdery white stuff perfect for sledding and tobogganing - not so great for snowballs and snowmen (ok, snowpeople) although we got a forty-degree day right at the end which made up for it. Here's some pics:



Let me tell you it was freakin' cold but for the most part we dealt with it well- especially Lucas. I also learned something about mattresses that had never occurred to me, which is that for every nice warm blanket you toss over yourself there is a nice warm mattress underneath you, making a nice warm human sandwich. However, the formula breaks down if the mattress underneath you happens to be filled with two feet of air, which won't stay warm on a cold night. I discovered this the hard way, with a toasty warm top part of the sandwich, and a heat sink down below. It reminded me of the time I slept on the deck of the ferry from Italy to Greece, when despite being wrapped up in every item of clothing I had with me, the steel of the deck sucked all the warmth out of my body and I woke profoundly chilled. Luckily I didn't let it get to that point - a simple remaking of the bed with blankets both on top of and below the human part of the sandwich was adequate to remedy the problem.

We had a great trip and spent a lot of time with my family which was great. Only three grumbles, which for me is pretty good:
  • Not long enough
  • I didn't see any of my friends
  • I miss my dad
In other much more recent news I did something yesterday I've been planning for some time- I packed up a bunch of cans of paint, pumped up the tires on my poor neglected bicycle, and hit the road. In two hours I did four little paintings, plus a couple that didn't amount to more than doodles. If I could do that another ten times I'd be a formidable presence on the streets of Salvador. Here's a couple of the pieces:




Actually I've been painting a fair bit over the last few months, at least for me. I've done some much bigger pieces, but I'm not going to post them here. In fact, I'm done for now. Happy 2011 to everyone and thanks for reading.

2 comments: