Friday, February 4, 2011

Blackout

Here they call it a 'Bleckautch'... Portuguese can sound odd to the unaccustomed ear, but if you hear a word that sounds truly bizarre, it's probably an English one getting the Brazilian vowel treatment. You wouldn't recognize 'check in' (as in a flight) or 'outdoor' (what a billboard is called) unless you saw them written down.

When the power went out last night, I could tell by the exclamations outside on the street that it wasn't just my house this time. I went to the window, and it didn't appear to be just our street, or as has happened before, just our side of the street. In fact, it looked like the whole neighborhood was out. I looked up at the sky and was astonished to see more stars than I've ever seen within the city limits. That was impressive.

Today I found out why. It wasn't just my neighborhood, it wasn't just the city. It was the entire state of Bahia that was without power. Couldn't tell you why. It did screw up a fine Friday evening of billable hours however. It was tempting to go out and wander around, but I value my life more than that. Turns out some friends of mine went on a mad tagging binge in the dark...

For billable hours, there's always Saturday and Sunday. I did have a normal life once, didn't I?

4 comments:

Lila said...

Rapazzzz, podia rolar um blog em português, hein? rs
Suas ilustras são muito boas! mesmo!

um beijo

markuza said...

po- meu português não presta não...

Nina said...

I heard it was more than just bahia!!! And the director or engineer that was doing PR, claims that they have a good system. But with some flaws. Ok, the U.S is not doing so good with energy either with rolling backouts and all.

What is going on though? my power gets shut off all the time. It´s a little over the top. And People claim I live in the beverly hills of structure (paulinia). My husband told me rio had power shut off one night and they couldnt sleep. Everyone stayed in the street talking.

Brazil has some amazing sun power, it would be great if the government could put that to good use.

markuza said...

I wish I'd been in NYC during their big blackout- I think that would have been a trip. Brazil _should_ take advantage of all this sun, and get rid of those evil electric shower heads. As it is, some huge percentage of the energy here is hydroelectric apparently...