Thursday, March 31, 2011

Birthday #6 - the Robin Birthday


Lucas' birthday was yesterday, and we are all recovering now. Like last year, we had the party at his school, which meant it was a 45 minute ordeal that was neatly wrapped up when the teacher whisked him and his classmates away for other activities. It didn't seem like much to me, but he enjoyed it and is satisfied, so if he's satisfied, I'm satisfied, and we've got that out of the way for another year.

As I wrote last year, kid's birthdays are all about the themes, and in previous years Lucas has had Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man as themes. We're still waiting for the Ben 10 birthday, it's possible that that will finally happen next year. This year things got a little complicated because he wanted to do a Robin birthday. Robin was hard because Robin is not in vogue, which means nobody has the ready-made paraphernalia for sale: the hats, napkins, plates, invites, etcetera. That was fine with me, as I'm a DIY kinda guy and I like a challenge. That is, I like this kind of challenge.

I should clarify something at this point. There are a couple different incarnations of Robin, the best known being Sidekick Robin, ala Batman. There is another Robin, member of the Teen Titans, who is not a sidekick. He's the leader of the group. That's the one that Lucas likes.

First thing to prepare were the invites. I felt like I was back in elementary school, making Valentine's Day cards for my classmates. I photoshopped a couple images of Robin and the Teen Titans, with the pertinent info regarding the birthday, and Lucas and I glued the images onto folded pieces of blue paper. They were somewhat haphazard, mostly the ones that Lucas glued. Evani thought they were terrible, but we had fun making them and who cares what anyone thinks.

Another quintessential item was the costume. There were no Robin costumes to be had, and I was kicking myself for not ordering one online while I was in the States, where I could have gotten one for cheap. The only online options here in Brazil were way more than I wanted to pay. Luckily for me, I found a lady who makes costumes to order, and it cost me half of what I was expecting to shell out.

Plates, cups, and gift bags for the other kids all had to be generic. I made some stickers with Robin's head and Lucas' name on them and these went on the gift bags. Another photoshop session and I had an image of Lucas in his new costume next to all the rest of the Teen Titans- this was then printed on edible rice paper and went on top of the cake.

It was while I was getting the rice paper that the light bulb went on over my head. If I couldn't get all the kids Robin/Teen Titans party hats, then why not make Robin masks for everyone? I bought two sheets of this plastic foamy stuff (I'm sure it has a real name) and after a couple hours of work I had 29 masks for all the kids. I haven't watched many episodes of the Teen Titans (it is a cartoon btw), but one of my favorites is when all the other Titans get dressed up as Robin when he is away doing something else. Robin comes back and catches them in his extra costumes, and he says: "You know what Robins? The mask makes me feel cool too." I was hoping all these Robin masks w0uld make everyone feel cool.

I think I was fairly successful. Judge for yourself:


One last thing: Lucas always gets a bunch of presents from his classmates, one of which this year was a game called Futebol de Botão, aka 'Table Soccer,' a game I had never heard of before. After watching a YouTube video about it, it appears it's kind of a big deal. It's got a bit of Tiddlywinks in it, and a bit of Shuffleboard as well. And I hate to say it, but it's the kind of game I could actually see myself getting enthusiastic about. I hate to say this because I'm not a soccer fan and it seems a bit dorky, which by extension, would make me... a bit... dorky. Lucas likes it too, let's see if it lasts.

3 comments:

Fabio Bossard said...

Pretty cool, man! The masks were awesome!
Learn how to play futebol de botão. It's pretty nice. I miss those, although I've never liked soccer in my life.

Pedra said...

Dude that cake is kick ass! Did your wife make it? And I love the group shot with the masks. I'm glad Lucas had a fun day :)

markuza said...

Thanks guys! Fabio: I think I will learn. Nice to have something to do that doesn't involve sitting in front of a screen, or even sitting. Cheryl: Yep, my wife made the cake. I did the picture. We've still got some!