Thursday, April 7, 2011

Facebook Scam

If you use Facebook, you may have noticed that the number of scams is on the rise. A friend of mine had her account hacked, so I learned about a new one today. This was in the form of a chat, with some crook pretending to be her and fabricating an emergency. Here's the transcript. See if you can figure out at what point I realized what was going on:

[K_______]
Hi Mark
how you doing?

[Me]
hey - on the phone!

[K_______]
i need your help?

[Me]
give me 10 mins.

[K_______]
ok

[Me]
What's up K_______?

[K_______]
Mark we need your help down here
we stuck at the moment

[Me]
what's going on?

[K_______]
we stuck in the UK at the moment

[Me]
stuck in the UK??

[K_______]
all cash,credit card and cell Phones were stolen off us but luckily we still have our passports with us

[Me]
oh shit
what can I do to help?

[K_______]
G_______ was beaten up while trying to protect us but his doing well now

[Me]
is he in the hospital?

[K_______]
please we need you help to get things sorted out donw here so we don't miss our flight back home

[Me]
what do you need

[K_______]
yea,but doing fine now

[Me]
thank goodness
do you have a # where I can call you?

[K_______]
don't have access to phone since the muggers went away with my phone and the hotel manangement stop me from making call because of my out standing bills

[Me]
can I call in to the hotel?

[K_______]
we just need to get the bills sorted out and get a cab to the airport
I'm at a local library trying to get help back and there is no phone in the library
please let know if you can help us out
we promise to pay back once we home??

[Me]
tell me G_______'s parent's number and I'll call them

[K_______]
don't have any# here with me

[Me]
you need money?

[K_______]
yes so we can have the bills sorted out
please we promise to have it refunded once we back home

[Me]
how do I send you money

[K_______]
you can have it wired to us down here vis western union

[Me]
ok

[K_______]
you need the info to have it done?

[Me]
yes

[K_______]
hold on let me get you the info

[Me]
you do that

[K_______]
Name-K_______
Location-1 Whitchurch Road Cardiff, CF14 3IL

[Me]
ok

[K_______]
how soon can you have it done?

[Me]
I already sent it
will 10,000 dollars be enough?

[K_______]
that is much

[Me]
I can send more if you like

[K_______]
all we need is just $1,550

[Me]
I think you need more than that

[K_______]
not at all

Then I signed off. As I was chatting with my "Friend," I called the school where her husband works, and they confirmed that he was definitely not on vacation this week. Since this conversation took place, I have been unfriended by my "Friend." Maybe she realized I didn't actually send the money?

Whoever hacked her account changed her place of residence to London, England, but left her workplace as Western Massachusetts. Wonder how that's supposed to work?

My friend wrote me back and confirmed that he is at home with the family, and they are indeed fine.

2 comments:

Pedra said...

Wow, you are generous...$10,000!!!! Ha ha! I saw another friend's account get spammed by some kind of "you can win an IPad too" deal. Just click on the address and you too can have your FB account hacked, er I mean you can win an IPad. These things are ridiculous.

Fabio Bossard said...

A gente tem que ficar esperto nesse mundo, meu chapa!