Monday, April 11, 2011

Pinte Aki Véio

(Note: this post was started a couple weeks ago and I never published it. I have a bad habit of doing that)


That title translates as 'Paint over here dude,' and it was the name of a graffiti event that I attended this weekend in the city of Serrinha, which is about a three hour drive from Salvador. I almost didn't go, and it's only thanks to my wife that I ended up going, and escaping a weekend of rain in the city.

I'm very glad I went. Not only was it fun to get out of the city, but we were treated very well by the people organizing the event, and they provided plenty of yummy food. Apparently the accommodations weren't too great (in a school with no showers) but we avoided that by staying in a hotel in the middle of the city, which was nice and cheap by Salvador standards.

On the first day, I painted this:


And then, at the request of all the children in the neighborhood, I painted this:


I finally had to tell them that I would only paint the names of kids who were present, no brothers, cousins, boyfriends, girlfriends, etc. Otherwise I would have been at it all night.

That night I went back to the hotel and had a beer in the square by myself. It was almost deserted except for a group of youths playing guitar and a pair of peripatetic teenage girls. The main source of activity was going on in the adjoining square, where a large group of teenage boys were gathered, all of them with small motorcycles. They would zoom out of the square, passing me on one side, and then come back on the other, invariably pulling wheelies which they would hold for 50 to 100 yards. I've never seen so many wheelies pulled in my entire life. It made me glad I'd picked a room off the street as they made quite a racket.

The next day I painted this:

I did not paint the scantily clad lady. That was Monica. I did the 19 'things,' one observer said they were whales, I guess they could be whales. This wall was about 10 feet tall.

I was happy with both of these paintings because they are my first attempts at some ideas I've wanted to work with- first, to do more comic-type paintings in frames, and second, to work with groups of repetitive images. I would like to move away from the flat colors and get back to doing more modeled forms, but for now this will have to do due to budget restraints and the paint I have at my disposal.

One guy came to the event from the neighboring state of Minas Gerais, I liked his stuff very much. He calls himself Hyper, here's an example of an unfinished piece:


To see more of his work, check this out. To see more of my photos from this event, check this.

2 comments:

Fabio Bossard said...

To me those "whales' look like those puppets made with socks.

markuza said...

Yes, well, one of my primary influences are the Muppets, which are essentially glorified sock puppets.