Sunday, July 31, 2011

Never Cry Wolf

Yesterday I had reason to ask Lucas if he remembered the story about the boy who cried wolf. After an enthusiastic request for me to tell the story once more, he proved that he knows it by heart by reciting the whole thing for me. So he knows the story. But has he learned the lesson?

We had our 'cry wolf' moment yesterday because Lucas had a Capoeira event at his school. It is one of two events that he will attend this year, and I remembered that the event was happening at 1:30 in the afternoon. Lucas informed me on Thursday, and again on Friday, that he was supposed to be there at 10:00 in the morning.

I didn't believe him.

Lucas has gotten in the habit of 'making up stories' as I like to say, usually in order to get or do something he wants. This is why he is so familiar with the story of the boy who cried wolf. One of the ways that I have tried to convince him not to make stuff up is by telling him that we will just stop believing anything he says. Since he had been so extremely enthusiastic about the Capoeira event, we figured he just wanted to get there super early and start enjoying it hours before it was to actually start.

I am not a morning person. Never have been. 'Morning' is mostly just an abstract concept for me, as I am usually up until the wee hours working on the computer and I am almost never out of bed before 10. I hope this will change sometime soon, but for now, that's how it is and how it has been for years. So I was fast asleep at 9:30 when Lucas showed up with the paper listing the starting time of the event, which was, you guessed it- 10 o'clock. We didn't make it to the event quite on time, but we did get there before his class did their part, thank goodness. I would have felt terrible if I'd shown up there at 1:30 and it was long over.

I sure hope my 'I told you so' moment has some impact, but maybe missing the thing completely would have served that purpose more effectively.

No comments: