Saturday, October 15, 2011

Time Change

Hello there.

It's been a while- no apologies, the blog stumbles but it does not fall. There are many things I could write about, my whirlwind, stress-filled trip to the States, my brand-new semi-opened store, phone company incompetence and tomfoolery, etc.

But I won't write about any of those, I'm going to write a quick note about the time change. The Brazilian, southern-hemisphere, in-the-tropics time change. It's happening tonight, and I didn't even know about it. That wouldn't be anything special, if I still lived in New England, where I was prone to forget that kind of thing, but we haven't had a time change here in Bahia for eight years. I remember them, vaguely, from my first couple years here (my I've lived here for some time now). Mostly I remember them because when the time is changed here and also in New England, the time difference jumps from one to three hours- going from a minor consideration to suddenly even though my son's just getting home from school my mom is now going to bed.

The biggest advantage for me, doing lots of work for clients in the northern hemisphere? Three extra hours to meet a deadline.

I just looked at our local paper's website to read up a bit on the topic, and found out something rather amusing. Like so many things here in Bahia, the period of the time change will be dictated by... you guessed it- a party. Admittedly, it is the biggest street party in the world and a huge source of revenue for the city and presumably the state as well. I guess they don't want to confuse the revelers by changing the clocks in the middle of Carnaval, because they'll all be too drunk to figure it out... on the other hand, I'd think they'd all be too distracted to care very much.

Mark out. Here's hoping my next post doesn't take this long to get published. I really do have my very own store now, and I'd like to share it with you. Another time.

No comments: