Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sinal


Yesterday I slept late due to some confusion with my alarm clock and as a result I arrived an hour late at the store. I was informed that two guys had come by looking to buy paint. One of them, Sinal, was murdered yesterday.

I only met Sinal a couple times - he was a pichador (Brazilian for 'tagger') but he did some interesting letters as well, wish I had some pictures. Most of these pichadores don't buy anything from me, but I was informed by mutual friends that he was coming by the store to buy paint yesterday. Last night, when I heard the news, I couldn't help wondering if he'd been able to buy the paint if maybe he would have been somewhere else, painting, or stalled just long enough at the store, so that he wouldn't have been killed.

Nah. I asked several people online last night what happened, and everyone fell silent at this question. Finally someone told me that pixação wasn't the only illegal activity he was involved in, and that's probably what led to his death. If that's the case, I think it would have caught up with him sooner or later.

As my friend said last night: "It's fucked: to be black, live in the periphery, want those Nike sneakers that the TV says you have to have; and not give you a decent education, not even a job - makes a brother do what he did." Got that right.

The couple times I met him Sinal was super friendly, and he left a lot of folks who have nothing but good things to say about him. Twenty five years old. I'm sorry I won't get to know him better.

RIP Sinal.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Unfortunate. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

markuza said...

You got that right Stephanie. Some folks got together and did a great mural remembering him.