Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Another Pseudo TV Appearance

I'm going to keep this short, and I'm NOT going to quote Andy Warhol...

I've been on TV.  A number of times.  Sort of.  As far as I know they've mostly been odd little community TV productions that were only visible to cable subscribers.  When I lived in Brattleboro, Vermont apparently there were three or four programs circulating in which I played a part.  There were some videos of my band that got way too much circulation in Amherst, Massachusetts.  Luckily I didn't have to watch much of them.

I heard from my sister in law that there was a video of me on the public TV station here in Salvador, and finally the guy who was actually being filmed at the time told me he'd posted it online.  The program was a pilot for a reality show, three graffiteiros were given some money, a theme, and 24 hours to produce a piece.  It languished in production (perhaps non-production) for a couple years, but now you can watch the whole thing.  They had planned to do more episodes using rotating themes including the other elements of hip-hop culture.  I don't think it ever happened.

Here's the pertinent segment:




I make my brief appearance at about 14:20.  Totally unscripted and spontaneous!  Quoting from my Facebook page:

This is a video from a couple years ago, before I had the store and was selling material out of a steel supply closet that I got for free. My scene starts at 14:21 and lasts for about a minute. The caption reads 'Mil Muros is a store for graffiti accessories in Largo 2 de Julho'

I'm famous baby.

Thanks Denissena Operário for letting me know this actually got produced, and for frequenting the store even before it was a store!


Denis Sena is one of the few graffiti artists who actually makes money at it here in Salvador, and is one of my best and most congenial customers.  He's a good guy.  You should check out his artwork here if you are interested in seeing more.

Whatever happened to those guys from Texas who interviewed me and filmed me painting?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool :)

Anonymous said...

very cool indeed