Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Zero Degrees of Separation

A very quick post here as I am hellishly busy and am suffering from the Mid Afternoon Doldrums which invariably reduces my brain function by about 50%, but this is too good to pass up!

Everyone loves a coincidence and a chance re-encounter - seven degrees of separation and all that.  If I may brag just a tiny bit I am only one or two degrees separated from some of the most famous people of our time due to a couple minor celebrities who married relatives of mine... but enough about that.

Back in 2002 I was training with João Grande as I often did at that time, living in New York City, and I met a Brazilian woman in class because she asked me some questions about how to sing the songs in the roda.  I remember this encounter because she told me she had a scholarship to dance in the Alvin Ailey dance company, which took me a while to figure out because she didn't know how to pronounce 'Alvin Ailey' properly- it's a tough one for Brazilians.

You know what's coming - turns out she is now a visual artist here in Salvador and has been a customer of mine for some time!  I only discovered today while she was in the store that she had lived in New York for a couple years, and when I found out she'd danced with Alvin Ailey I made the connection.  She doesn't remember meeting me, apparently I wasn't the only one who helped her pronounce his name.  I have a weird memory for stuff like that.

Pretty cool, eh?  I love that shit.  It's probably not as weird as the other coincidental connection I have here, via my Slovakian friend who heads up one of the biggest groups of Capoeira in Central Europe.  The guy who introduced him to Capoeira ended up doing something very similar to me, moving to Brazil because of a Bahiana that he met, who I just happened to know because we trained together with Grupo Nzinga back in the day.

The World is Small and all that, but it gets a lot smaller when everyone involved has a Capoeira connection, and even smaller when it's Capoeira Angola.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed that.  Now I have to decide if I'm going to get back to work at 50% capacity or try to take a nap at my desk.

Thanks for reading and please pardon my lengthy absence from this blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there I remember you had some street art on your blog. I am looking for an artist to donate some time to create a piece for The Museu for the Children in Patamares, Salavdor. This is a museum & library unlike anything else in Salvador intended to aid in increasing education of children here. Have you heard of it? Can be found on Facebook also. It is awaiting desperately needed funding to be recognized as a public service. The place is in need of a facelift and we are looking to people in the community who may be interested to help. Please you contact me via the email below if you or any other artist you know may be interested.
saraharnold1980@hotmail.com
I speak some Portuguese and have contacts re translation/help if needed.
Thanks again. Hope to hear from you soon!

markuza said...

Hi Sarah, I am not familiar with the museum but I will ask around to see if I can find some artists for you!