Sunday, May 18, 2014

Oops


I've always tried to "be a nice guy" and "do the right thing" whenever possible, because I like things 'to be fair' and "that's how I'd want other people to treat me too."  At one time I considered these to be positive character traits, although I've come to suspect that they are actually serious character flaws.

I had a fair amount of time to think about this after I dumped about half a gallon of paint on the car pictured above.  Well, I didn't actually dump it on there, but I did put the bucket on the ladder that got blown over by the wind while I was chasing a cat away from our front door.  One reaps what one sows, doesn't one?

My immediate inclination to take full responsibility for my actions as I was dashing for buckets of water and cleaning implements faded somewhat as I started to play out scenarios about the potential owner of the car and his or her possible tendencies to fits of ballistic rage.  My fears subsided somewhat as I was able to get pretty much all of the paint off, and I toyed with the idea of not saying anything at all.  If the car hadn't been parked right in front of my house I would have just driven away and forgotten about it.

Finally the owner did show up, and I of course "did the right thing" and told her what had happened (although I did play down the amount of paint spilled, and did NOT show her the above photo).  I told her I was concerned there was paint inside the doors and indeed there was a huge goober of paint inside the rear door.  She was quite mellow about it actually, but it was already dark and she was in a bit of a rush.  I gave her my number and told her if she wanted to get it professionally cleaned I would take care of it.  Why do I do these things?

If I'd just kept my mouth shut she would have driven off and never noticed.

2 comments:

scorpionhorde said...

That sounds like something that would totally happen to me. And much like you I have always, always tried to be fair and do the right thing. I am not a goodietoshoes I don't believe in god. I do like to think that if we do good then good will eventually come back to us. With that being said, you did what I would do and told the person what happened, they didn't seem to freaked out about it, all I would have done differently is to tell them that if it was not properly at that time then I would finish cleaning it at another time and skipped the professional cleaner part. I hope everything worked out well for you both. Some people have no conscience and no integrity. You have both. Two thumbs up

markuza said...

Thank you, I appreciate it! Sometimes I wonder if anyone values these qualities anymore. Glad to know someone does.